To ensure that your taxes are calculated in compliance with tax laws
Regardless of your field of activity, we can help you correctly process your everyday operations with respect to sales taxes. Our taxation CPAs are qualified and available to answer any questions you may have.
Here are three examples of situations where our expertise is more specifically called upon:
- Commercial activities in the real-estate sector
- Context of a Revenu Québec sales tax audit
- Interprovincial and international business activities
1. Commercial activities in the real-estate sector
The real-estate sector is subject to highly complex sales tax rules.
We propose our services to help you see your way through calculating the taxes you need to collect or pay in full compliance with applicable laws.
We receive a lot of questions from our clients who operate in this sector, for example with respect to:
- the purchase or sale of a house or building;
- the purchase or sale of a duplex used for both residential and commercial purposes;
- major and minor renovations;
- real-estate flips (purchase with the intent of renovating and reselling);
- the purchase or sale of vacant or agricultural land.
Are you seeking to understand the impacts that sales taxes will have on your real-estate transaction?
Our sales tax experts will assist you to:
- calculate the taxes that you may be able to recover;
- calculate the taxes that are to be remitted;
- complete the tax forms.
We also provide services to notaries and their clients in the real-estate sector as well as clients who wish to consult before signing at the notary’s office.
2. Context of a Revenu Québec sales tax audit
Who is right? You or the government auditor?
Consult one of our sales tax experts to obtain:
- assistance to validate the amount of a tax assessment in the context of an audit conducted by the Québec government;
- explanations to understand on which bases the assessment was established and establish whether the amount assessed can be revised downwards;
- assistance to produce the documents and evidence requested by Revenu Québec;
- an external opinion regarding your compliance with the Act respecting the Québec sales tax and the Excise Tax Act.
One of our taxation CPAs can assist you, regardless of the stage of the government’s audit of your sales tax reports (the “draft assessment”), whether:
- upon receipt of the letter informing you of the upcoming audit;
- when you are required to provide evidence or documents regarding your business operations;
- once your discussions with the auditor have reached an impasse, if you have questions on the terms the auditor is using or if you are seeking to determine if the auditor is right.
3. Interprovincial and international trade activities
Imagine that you are a merchant based in Québec and that you are selling an item to someone in Equator, but that your client refuses to pay the sales taxes that you added to the invoice. Is your client justified to refuse to pay the taxes?
That is a question that a tax expert specialized in sales taxes can help you to answer.
There are advantages to calling upon the services of our tax experts who are knowledgeable on sales taxes and regularly consult the Excise Tax Act and the Act respecting the Québec sales tax.
Interprovincial and international business activities are subject to a host of rules. For example, sales taxes are processed differently if an item sold is shipped within a certain timeframe, if a consumer purchases an item for himself or if a company purchases an item with the intent of reselling it or using it itself.
One of our tax experts will help you to get the facts straight and inform you of the appropriate amounts that you need to collect or pay in full compliance with the tax laws.
Call upon the services of our sales tax experts. Contact us to schedule your consultation.